Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Way You Do The Things You Do

The song that pushed the Temps from a small time Detroit group to full out super-stardom, The Way You Do the Things You Do is a classic Smokey Robinson composition. The song sits in the key of D until the classic Motown key change comes in for the sax solo and carries you away in the key of E. At the time the Temps were experimenting with different lead singers and this was the Eddie Kendricks era. Although Eddie continued to get lead parts on many of the groups most successful singles, he was not their only front man. Temptation Paul Allen tried his hand at lead on A Love I Can See (the single before The Things You Do) but the song was only a minor hit. Temptation David Ruffin stepped out of the shadows to become the voice most people associate with the Temps today on classics such as My Girl, Ain't Too Proud to Beg, Since I Lost My Baby, and I Wish It Would Rain.
-Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment